of Stamfordham lies on the southern hillside sloping down to the little
river Pont, with a church at the west end. The Church of St.Mary was
largely rebuilt in 1848 when an Anglian cross shaft was found, indicating
that there had been a church on the site at an early date, probably
thirteenth century. The name of Stamfordham is Old English, meaning
"the homestead by the Stoney Ford".
The houses stand round a large
village green, towards the western end of which stands the Market Cross,
built in 1735 by Sir Edward Swinburne of Capheaton. There are two pubs,
The Bay Horse and The Swinburne Arms.
Stamfordham Parish is in rural
Northumberland, about 12 mile west of Newcastle upon Tyne. The area
covered consists of the village of Stamfordham and the hamlets of Dalton,
Eachwick, Harlow Hill and Heugh, and also Albmemarle Camp, together with
numerous farm settlements.
There is also an excellent
village school which can be visited via our "links" page.
The total number of people on
the electoral roll is 734.
St Mary the Virgin, Stamfordham
Stamfordham Village Green
Stamfordham First School